Experience Designer – Chicago, IL
The Experience Designer will work on various experiences focused on the intersection of human behavior and technology (client-based or proactive internal initiatives) alongside a multi-disciplinary team comprising of other designers, researchers, digital product managers, and technologists. This candidate will execute on the design thinking process for creating usable, loveable, and feasible human-centered experiences that solve an unmet opportunity. For Moonshot’s Experiences team, the next wave of innovative digital products and experiences focused on amplified intelligence, data and cloud platforms, and next generation customer touch-points (e.g. IoT, wearables, natural language processing, virtual and augmented reality) across physical and digital environments is core to our DNA. Reporting to the Head of Experiences, the Experience Designer must thrive within a lean-matrixed, entrepreneurial environment. Success requires exceptional organization and interpersonal skills, along with an ability to solve problems on the fly. Beyond client engagements, the Experience Designer will contribute to the vision and brand of the Next-Gen Experiences practice and help shape their internal creative lab; creating a strong design-centric culture with the team, across Moonshot, and its partner groups.
- Be relentlessly curious about what is coming next in the world of digital innovation, beyond the design of websites and mobile app, and be driven to define related experiences and/or perspectives. Voraciously consume and produce best practices related to experience augmentation using artificial intelligence and interactions that occur off screen (voice/conversation)
- Ability to lead design thinking sessions using iterative design techniques that include observational studies, customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of qualitative and quantitative research to uncover insights, learn about user behavior, and verify design concepts
- Collaborate with small, cross-functional teams made up of Digital Product Management, Technology, and Amplified Intelligence experts to come up with creative solutions to problems that evaluate and assess the user, business, and technical goals and needs and present with conviction
- Evolve the team’s knowledge around the latest UI/UX design tools (Sketch, Framer, Flinto, Xd, Invision) and share best practices for how to go deep in these tools
- Represent the end-user experience with our developers and/or partners and be a relentless advocate for the user throughout the build phase
- Ability to design impactful user experiences based on the definition of customer needs (e.g. pains, gains, and jobs to be done) and the creation of personas, storyboards and user flows, user requirement specifications, including scenarios, task analysis, flowcharts, organization, navigation models, detailed wireframes, and other tools as necessary to effectively communicate the user experience and user interface/interaction elements
- Conduct and contribute to user research efforts, both primary and secondary, to form the ultimate user experience strategy and ensure experiences are built with solid set of guiding principles and design directives
- Make to learn - Ability to articulate user experiences through prototypes, bringing them to life in a rapid, iterative fashion, using lean practices
- Tell compelling stories - deliver insights about people and behavior both verbally and visually, in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and colleagues
We are looking for an interdisciplinary Experience designer who is t-shaped at heart with a deep expertise and know-how of the user experience craft. This person will focus on the needs of the customer and build our solutions as we grow in the areas of Augmented Reality, Voice, Virtual Reality, IoT, sensors, and other forthcoming technologies. You have the precision of a researcher, the logic of an engineer, and perspective of a designer to illustrate the broader systemic experience. You are driven, collaborative, and excited about solving interesting, sophisticated, and unique problems and able to succeed in a collaborative environment. You can dream big, know how to have fun, and get stuff done.
Your Experience to-date
- Bachelors in HCI, Cognitive Science, UX, Fine Arts, Visual Communication, or a related degree from an accredited institution
- 2-6 years of hands-on user experience, HCI, or interaction design experience across a variety of industries and challenges. Digital and physical preferred, print is respected
- A strong portfolio around creating user experiences with tangible business impact
- Proven track record of delivering innovative offline and online experiences to market industry – integrating the capabilities such as cognitive and artificial intelligence technologies (i.e. IBM Watson and Amazon Alexa Skills) into digital products
- Passion for design: You know the difference between ‘good design’ and ‘great design’ and can work within collaborative teams and client relationships to deliver excellent design.
- Possess tangible examples of making to learn push boundaries and exploring new territories of design.
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and sing your work to communicate that complexity in simple ways.
User Experience Craft
- Proven ability to create user-centered design based on your understanding of HCI fundamentals, UX design best practices, patterns, HCI practices, concept validation and research techniques, with an appreciation and foundation in visual design practices
- Possess demonstrable experience with the entire UX stack (strategy, research, interaction design, visual design, and development) with a primary focus in one or more of these areas
- Possess enough knowledge to be dangerous in the tools to create prototype from fast to polished ones, including HTML, CSS, and jQuery
- Skillful integration of research findings, new ideas, creative innovation, and industry-leading practices to generate unique, strategic solutions
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Keynote, and relevant UX tools (Sketch, Invision, Flinto, Zeplin, etc.) to create the experience of a project including the information architecture, flows, sitemap, wireframes, annotations, etc.
- Collaboration: You can work with people who bring many different skills and disciplines to the table, and can align your talents with theirs. You inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of all aspects of UX deliverables
- Communication skills: You have strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills. You understand the value of design and brand within a business context
- Able to independently manage and prioritize multiple projects and multiple deliverables
- Comfortable working in situations with high degrees of ambiguity and uncertainty
- Can you present like a pro and communicate your creative voice in a business setting? You should feel comfortable throughout all phases of a project, from translating verbal ideas into low-fidelity concepts, through design development and refinement, and creating production-ready work.
- You have what it takes to design, facilitate, and deliver on design-thinking workshops internally and externally.
Moonshot’s mission is to create and service the innovative digital products that businesses need to transform entire industries. Our blend of data science, experience design, and development operations allows businesses to breakthrough existing digital boundaries. Our Experiences group’s goal is to Create. We create human-centric experiences using our deep expertise in the next-generation of ambient technologies. We create perspectives to help educate our own team, clients, and industries. We create our own products as outcomes of our passion to experiment, break, and tinker. We are building a different kind of services company that helps the world understand how to build their next moonshot. Whether we're creating new products or helping businesses expand its reach, people at Moonshot are makers at heart from all walks of life solving problems and working together to define the world the third wave of internet as created. Because to do this takes every one of us – and we’re just starting.